Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Recommend a friend

Yesterday I posted a piece on the Salt blog, tied to National Poetry Day, about recommending poetry to readers – how many people want to read poetry but don't know where to start. Something I said there about  the anxiety people feel when confronted by poetry generated some interesting comments, some on Facebook and this thoughtful response by Angela Readman. This morning Chris at Salt suggests the following simple expedient:

"I think that today everyone should recommend a book of poetry to three friends who don't read it."

I'm going to – why don't you?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Laura Grace said...

Hi Tony,

Really enjoyed your post on the Salt blog. I tend to recommend the Bloodaxe Staying Alive / Being Alive anthologies as a nice introduction to contemporary poetry, and they're still ones I love dipping in and out of.

I'm organising a Poetry Day blogathon at http://quotabl.es - it would be wonderful if you fancied getting involved! We're looking for poets and poetry bloggers favourite quotes, there's more info over here: http://blog.quotabl.es/post/1242257836/poetry-week-on-quotables-get-involved

Best,

Laura Grace

2:05 PM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Laura's choices are good and I would have agreed until I read Earth Shattering - Eco Poems edited by Neil Astley as are Being Alive and Staying Alive.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Aulawi Ahmad said...

i just wanna say hello :) n nice to be here :)

10:04 AM  
Blogger Tony Williams said...

Hi all, thanks for comments and suggestions. Laura - will do!
Tony

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home