Friday, October 23, 2009

Levertov, Holub, Frost

Three poems that I've particularly enjoyed this week:

On Monday I read a load of poems with some students, including Denise Levertov's 'Intrusion'. I really like it, but I was quite surprised that the students did too, on the whole. You never can tell. I've been meaning to read more of Levertov's work for ages, and maybe this i the shove I need.

Then last night I was at a poetry do and heard people read Miroslav Holub's 'The Door' (one translation here) and Robert Frost's 'Unharvested') – both poems I had known before, but it was a pleasure to be reminded of them.

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Shields said...

Denise really could nail it! That's the era to start with, too: sixties into early seventies.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Tony Williams said...

Ah, that's what I need to know, Andrew – should I just go for a selected or collected, or is there a specific era/book to start with?

11:11 AM  
Blogger Andrew Shields said...

There is no collected yet (why not, I wonder?).

I guess a good place to start is the 1986 Selected Poems. That should still be available from New Directions.

Oh, I just checked: there's a 2003 New Selected available from Bloodaxe. You gotta love Neil Astley! (And Chris H-E, too, of course!)

12:18 PM  
Blogger Tony Williams said...

Thanks Andrew. I anticipate running into another Levertov fan on Thursday, so I'll get the low-down from him, too, and take it from there. I guess one of the selecteds is the place to start, though.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home