Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Yes my name is Iggle-Piggle

...which shibboleth those of you with young children (and many without) will recognise, nod, and let me through. The others, learning it refers to In the Night Garden, the bonkers toddler drug-pastoral narrated by Derek Jacobi, will no doubt scorn it as a newer version of the Teletubbies. How wrong you are.

Which has nothing whatever to do with the following, a draft I wrote on the train this morning to go in my sequence about a 1920s Central European graphomaniac. In this episode, his escape fantasy turns to the anti-sky. It won't stay online long, reducing the chances of anyone actually reading it still further. Who's more deluded, poet or narrator?

/implodes/

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Pontypines must be purged!

As for the poem, deluded and fine. I wasn't sure about the clutter in the "The rainfall....cities with." I think it's the 'air's far travellers' in the middle of it all.

Jim

4:33 PM  
Blogger Tony Williams said...

Ta Jim. You're right about the clutter - it's what comes from trying to pack too much in, a whole extra sonnet's worth in the first quatrain. Just the sort of gaffe my narrator would do, but it makes things sticky for me as well. The sentence needs redrafting.

Time for the draft itself to be buried...

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home