Thursday, July 23, 2009

Impulsive quotation from The Twilight of the Idols

It's some years since I read Nietzsche at any length, and a good five years since I bought my copy of The Twilight of the Idols/The Anti-Christ from Mahers in Welwyn Garden City (I'm unable, in the end, to resist the vacuous joke that WGC is the Bayreuth of C20th England). I never got round to reading it, and it's sat on the shelf ever since, till last night at least, when the fancy finally took me.

Three gems culled from the first 50 or so pages:

He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already.

I mistrust all systematizers and avoid them. The will to a system is a lack of integrity.

Only ideas won by walking have any value

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home