Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Worth a listen... very hard

Radio 3 is broadcasting (at 8pm on Sunday) a play about the domestic life of RS Thomas, who apparently didn't speak to his wife for days on end. Deliciously odd, odd, odd. How to script such a play?

I have the massive and forbidding chunk of Thomas's collected poems on a shelf somewhere. I've never got into him; when I try, he feels like a poet whose work I will come to like in old age, or never like. I keep trying, but without much hope.

2 Comments:

Blogger deemikay said...

Try the excellent biography of him by Byron Rogers. Best literary biography I've ever read, and even if you never get into his poetry it'll still be worth it. :)

8:48 PM  
Blogger Tony Williams said...

Thanks David. I'll look out for it. But - oops - forgot to listen last night - must remember to Listen Again

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home